Blog posts by Jared Hylton, MD, MS

Button Battery Dangers

Parents are well aware that young children love to explore their environment.  Unfortunately, a common component of that exploration involves young children putting objects they find in their mouth objects.  While every parent knows this, parents aren’t always aware that there can be serious hidden dangers in seemingly innocent-looking common household objects.

Many electronic devices, such as remote controls, flameless candles, watches and bathroom scales, are powered by small coin-shaped batteries also known as button batteries.  While a space efficient source of power, these button batteries can cause serious harm when accidentally ingested by a young child. Read more